Welcome to the research group of Dr. Udo Bach
PhD Scholarship now available. Deadline 2nd of June 2013
Click here to reach the CSIRO Careers Site and search for the relevant job references
Position 1: Nanobiosensors (Job Ref - VIC13/01454)
Position 2: Solar Cells (Job Ref - VIC13/01454)
Only applications submitted DIRECTLY through the CSIRO careers site can be considered.
Our joint research group belongs to the Department of Materials Engineering at Monash University and the Materials Engineering and Science Division at CSIRO. We are based in the New Horizons Building (Monash University campus) and the Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication in Clayton Australia.
Our research interests are at the interface of renewable energy and nanotechnology. Examples of current research activities in the area of dye-sensitized solar cells include the development of tandem dye-sensitzed solar cells (DSCs), back-contact DCSs, plasmonic DSCs, non-corrosive electrolytes and the commercialization of DSC technology.
In the area of nanofabrication, we are studying self-assembly processes that are drive by specific DNA-DNA interaction or electrostatic interactions. We use these processes for the development of novel nanoimprinting techniques, solar cells as well as Raman spectroscopy based sensors with a keen interest in biosensors.
We are also interested in nanoparticle synthesis with a focus on photochemical methods, where light can be used to control the nanoparticle shapes.
- Mar 2013 We welcome our 4th year students Julia Uhe and Xiaolin Li.
- Mar 2013 Congratulations to Dr. Torben Daeneke who was awarded the 2012 Mollie Holman Doctoral Medal for the best PhD thesis submitted in 2012 to the Faculty of Science at Monash University.
- Mar 2013 We have now moved into our brand-new custom built Renewable Energy research lab in the New Horizons Building This > 1,000 m2 lab and office space is shared between 4 research groups.
- Feb 2013 Our group is part of the US-Australia Institute for Advanced Photovoltaics.
- Jan 2013 See our front cover in Energy & Environmental Science.
- Oct 2012 See our front cover in Advanced Materials.
- Sept 2012 See our back cover in Angewandte Chemie.
- Sept 2012 Homegrown Electricity: Read our article in Monash Magazine.
- Sept 2012 Dr. Torben Daeneke joins us as a CSIRO OCE postdoc.
- Aug 2012 Nanorods all in a row: Read our Nature Highlights article.
- July 2012 Hannes Lorbeer joins us for a 3 moths internship.
- July 2012 Dr. Yuanhui Zheng joins us as a CSIRO OCE postdoc
- Mar 2012 Dr. Ze Yu joined our group from KTH, Sweden for his post-doc
- Feb 2012 Soon Hock joins as PhD student at our Melbourne Centre for Nanofarbication team
- Dec 2011 Official start CSIRO OCE Science Leader fellowship ( Udo Bach, joint position with Monash University)
- Sept 2011 Nanofabrication group moves to new labs in MCN
- Sept 2011 Rishabh Bhargava joined our research group from Deakin University, Australia for his Ph.D.